Sunday, August 31, 2008

Busy Here

It has been a very busy week here for us. Monday, I had a lot of running around to do and I needed to take Joseph to an interview for VESID. VESID stands for Vocational and Educational System for Individuals with Disabilities. Since Joseph was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 2 he has received services for special education. Mostly extra time to complete tests and writing assignments. Plus he has been in a small class for main classes, usually 15-1 instead of the normal here 27-1. This meeting was almost painful! The man who interviewed was GREAT! It was of course Joseph. The gentleman would ask Joseph a question and he would just say yeah or no. It was like pulling teeth to get him to talk. Then the guy asked him how his school attendance was and Joseph was like "pretty good". I almost feel out of the chair! The guy asked him if he wanted to re-think his answer, and Joseph was like "hmmmm... yeah... my attendance is pretty good". Then the guy was like "Joe, I don't ask a question that I don't already know the answer to. Maybe you would like to change your answer." Joseph said "No, his attendance was pretty good except for gym". I almost died.
Any who... Joseph is eligible for quite a lot of help depending on what he plans to do after he graduates (keeping fingers crossed, lol). He is also going to get driving training (I can't sit in the car with kid, he knows everything) so he can get his full license. If Joseph decides to go to college (2 or 4 year) they will pretty much pay for most of it, if he files before the deadline. If he files late he is only getting $4,800. I thought that was incredible! I really hope he goes. Oh... and they would also pay for him for job training if that is what he decided to instead. Their main goal is to get him a job and have him be financially secure.

Tuesday, brought me more running around and trying to get things done before they start school this week. DJ was suppose to go down to the college and of course didn't. Nothing like registering late! I don't know what it is with this kid lately.

Wednesday, Danny and I went to the US Open! We just love it there. There is so much to see and some great tennis. Danny was not too happy that Rafael Nadal was not playing (we thought he was since he played on Monday). So needless to say he was grumpy all day about that. We left early to get there, because we really did think we were going to be in traffic. No traffic really to speak of. But then Danny didn't want to follow the directions and well we got lost! I don't understand men. We were about 11 miles away. So of course we stop to ask someone how to get there and I'll be damned if the guy didn't live near it so he had us follow him. Of course when we passed the street that was on my directions he chimmed in and said I guess we should've followed the directions, you think!

This was the first time we entered and parked at the South Gate. We are usually at the other side by Shea Stadium. So it was nice to get close up to the old Worlds Fair Grounds and the wonderful Globe fountain before the entrance to the tennis grounds

Once in, we ventured around the outter courts to see who was playing and we got to see Tipsarevic. He is usually very good! He was not doing well while we were watching and Danny got very bored.
We went over to Louis Armstrong Court and watched Davydenko who is #5 right now. We were pretty high up in the stands, but it was nice. The weather was perfect! Of course Danny got bored very quickly with him so we moved on. There was soooo much and I have tons of pictures. I'm going to try to finish updating the past week tomorrow. I see this is getting awfully long for today. I don't want to bore you all!

I hope everyone enjoys their wonderful holiday weekend and don't forget to display your flag tomorrow.

4 comments:

Sarah Coggins said...

That VESID program sounds great! I hope Joseph will take advantage of that opportunity to further his education.

Too cool about going to the US Open. Great photos! :)

Hope you enjoy some time outside today and thanks for the sweet comments on my bathroom repairs. So tired of doing those! LOL

Janet said...

What fun photos from the US Open! How cool that you live close enough to go to something like that!

The program sounds like a really good deal for Joseph. I hope it works out that he can tap into all those services!

Have a great long weekend, Lynn! Thx for stopping by my blog, too! :-)

Noelia said...

I hope everything gets sorted out with Joseph and I think it's great that he can get assistance if he wishes to pursue a career. I don't watch tennis but I've seen Nadal play several times and he's incredible. Glad you had fun with Danny!

Aimeslee Winans said...

hey girl, hope your bones are feeling light. maybe you are getting a cool front...is hanna raining on you? i cannot get over hw many of us are having hurricanes, lol. just stopped in to say hi and stay safe and pain-free. xoxo