Tuesday, February 20, 2007

What a weekend




Hi everyone! This was some weekend. It started Friday afternoon and just continued. Friday we went to Stonybrook University, that is where ds DJ was wrestling for Counties. This is a big thing here in these parts. If you win Counties you get to move on up to States. Unfortunately, DJ did not win Counties, but he did place 6th which makes him an ALL-COUNTY Wrestler! That is huge, not a lot of wrestlers can say that. I'm so proud of everything that he has done.


So day 1 of Counties brought DJ to the mat and the first round match he lost. As long as the guy that beat him won DJ got another chance. DJ's next match was against a guy that beat the #3 ranked kid. DJ really wrestled great and beat this guy. Now we get to go back on Saturday. Another completely full day of wrestling which is right up my alley. I just love it.


Day 2 of Counties.... DJ really needed to win the first and thank our lucky stars he beat this guy 6-5! Incredible. Now no matter what, DJ was an ALL-COUNTY wrestler. The next match was very exciting but DJ lost 2-1, ugh.... now for the last match... he was wrestling GREAT!!! and then this kid grabed his bad knee and twisted and pulled him down right on the knee, ouch! The pain shot right thru me! he couldn't move. For the first time ever I was begging them to stop this match! DJ would not go off the mat like that, he was going to make this kid wrestle for his win. I could not believe the pain that my son was in and still continued! He is so strong. DJ continued and believe it or not almost beat this kid, but the end result was that DJ just could not hold him for more than 30 secs with all the pain and gave up the last 2 points with 10 secs left and the other guy won 6-4.


I'm so proud of him for everything that he has had to overcome in the last 2 years to continue and be a CHAMP!

Here is DJ in his 2nd match. Incredible! (for those who don't know him... he is the one with the white hair now, lol)
This one is also of him in the 2nd match. He is trying to pin this guy.

This is DJ's 3rd match, he wrestled hard here and won! 6-5.This is his 4th match and he lost this one 2-1, ugh..... he wrestled so hard.And this is the last match for 6th place. This was taken right after he injured his knee again! I have to tell you.. I was crying in the bleachers! Some friends called me yesterday to Congratulate DJ and asked me about his matches. When I got the this match and told them that I was yelling for them to stop this match they were like "you were asking for a match to be stopped?" I know it is hard to believe but yes I was. My kids have wrestled their whole lives and they have continued to wrestle hurt, and injured, broken noses, hands, dislocated shoulders, but this I just couldn't take. I literally was a hysterical mess up in the stands and that is just not me. I really had a mental breakdown and could not stop crying.This was DJ's last year for High School wrestling and he went out with a BANG! I can't stop saying how proud I am of him for accomplishing what he wanted to do. He didn't have high hopes of placing 1st in this tournament, but he wanted to be ALL-COUNTY and he is!

He is going to be attend college next year. He is going to go to Nassau Community College here on Long Island and they have the #1 wrestling team for Division 3. DJ is very determined to get the knee back in shape for next season with the big boys!

2peas challenge: What's your most fave food item in your cupboards/fridge at this moment? something u enjoy.. hmmmm.... I would have to say the Chocolate Chip Cookies that my dd's boyfriend made the other day! OUT of this World!

3 comments:

toners said...

You sound so proud, and so you should! And choc. chip cookies sound like a great idea right now, too :)

Noelia said...

Your son did great! He's a true Champ! And so are you for hanging in there. I can't even imagine how you must've felt watching him in tremendous pain. Glad to hear he's going to college to train with the big boys...he'll do great!

Sofia said...

I don't know a thing about wrestling, but I can tell from your writing how proud you are. Congratulations!