Thursday, February 28, 2008

Exhausted!

Well... again last night I couldn't sleep due to the hot flashes! I think that may be a big reason behind the weight gain. Some of you were so kind to post about Thyroid Disease. Well, in short I know ohhh to well about this little wonder. I was diagnosed with it 17 years ago. I have (had) Graves which is a form of hyperthyroidism. Yes, weight loss, hair loss, mind loss, and exhaustion are all part of it. I had every single symptom, but my drs at the time didn't have a clue what was wrong with me. I must've had it for at least 1 1/2 years before I had major eyesite problems that brought me into an eye dr. The first thing he said to me was OH MY GOD! you have Thyroid Disease. I never heard of such a thing. My first words were ....What the hell is that? and Can I die from it? He in turn explained in short detail what it was and said to me... (words I will never forget) I'm surprised you are not dead yet!

He then proceeded to pull out my insurance book of dr's and found an Endocrinologist (dr who specializes in this), called them and told them that I needed to be seen immediately. I left the eye drs office and went right there. They hooked me up right away to an EKG machine and yep... I was actually having a heart attack right there. Amazing. My own dr's couldn't tell me what the heck was wrong with me, but an eye dr that I never saw before takes 1 look at me and saves my life. Needless to say, as soon as I could get another dr I did. So in short... its not my thyroid (I've had to have it total removed ohhh about 15 years ago) I just had all my blood work and my levels are good. Thank you all for wonderful concern for me. It is a disease that is frequently overlooked by most dr's.

So... Saturday I took my friend and we went to the Vanderbilt Museum and Planetarium. It was a cold day. Very gray and gloomy out. It actually looked like it was going to snow, but didn't. Here are a few photos of our trip to the North Shore.
This is the entry way. That is my friend Tina posing and the Long Island Sound in the background looking out at CT.
Here is the Planetarium building. They have a little gift shop in there also. Very nice.
I just love this picture. It is so pretty, even though it was gloomy out. That is the Sound again looking at CT.
As we were walking down the wonderful brick road to the Mansion I shot this photo of the top portion of the Mansion. It is truly beautiful.
Here is another photo with the bridge going into the Mansion gates.

Ok... I've got to jump into the shower before DJ this morning. I will try to post some more photos later of tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a terrific Thursday!

8 comments:

Janet said...

Wow...your story is amazing, Lynn. You are one lucky woman. I have to say kudos to that eye doctor for being on top of things. My DH is an eye doctor and he tells me you'd be surprised at what you can see in the back of a person's eye. TFS your story.

The photos are amazing! I love the wintery colors! Have a great day, Lynn!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Great photos, Lynn. Glad you had a good time. I see now, you should have said hot flash to begin with, girl! And you really scared me with that thyroid story. I am hypO, but still, did not know it could get that bad. Poor baby, I feel for ya. As for whats what now,. peri-menopause????

Noelia said...

Thanks Lynn for providing a little background on your disease. It sounds pretty scary what you must've been through not knowing what was wrong with you. It's so important to have a good doctor these days! I can tell you that right now we're not happy with my FIL's dr.

P.S. Love the pics!

toners said...

What an uplifting story, Lynn - thank you! And the photos are beautiful, especially with the snow too! Keep well :)

Sarah Coggins said...

Wow! So glad that eye doctor was on the ball that day and caught it. Hoping you'll be feeling better soon from whatever is ailing you at the moment. Beautiful photos! :)

CircesMagic said...

OMGOSH!!! I feel your pain, I had a wonderful doctor (note sarcasum) who told me I probably had thyroid cancer and Nonalcoholic liver sorocis (sp?) I found a new doctor immediately who told me other then the fact that I do have a HUGE thyroid I was healthy and safe!

Stay strong girl! Muah!!

Gabrielle said...

GORGEOUS photos!

I love reading your blog. :)

Heather said...

Great photos Lynn. Sounds like you had a great trip.
My mom also had Grave's but fortunately it was caught early. She still had all the symptoms you described but was able to get treatment relatively quickly.