Friday, August 31, 2007

Memories

2 peas challenge for today: Blog about a childhood memory you have, good or bad. Sentimental or sappy, whatever you choose. This is so difficult. There are sooooo many memories which do I choose? Do I choose one from a young age of like 6-7 or one from older years? Do I pick one that is happy or sad? Ahhh the choices. I think I will go with one from a younger age and happy.

Lets see.... My dad decided back in 1969 to move the entire family to Miami, FL from Baldwin, NY. At the time I was just 5 years old. My siblings were brothers Michael (4), Steven (3), and Kelly (1 1/2), plus mom was expecting my little sister Tracy. I remember not being to happy about the move. That ment I was going to be very far away from my grandpa who was like my best friend.

Back then, Miami was more of a vacation spot, but this is where dad decided to try to get his construction company going. Things were building up down there and it was perfect for him. I got to celebrate my 6th birthday at the beach. I remember that was pretty fun. My dad knew that I really wanted a puppy for my birthday and that is exactly what I got. My dad surprised me with the most beautiful puppy a St. Bernard! She was so adorable, so fluffy, so playful who knew she was going to grow up to be a horse! My dad that's who! So we are sitting out in the front yard and trying to think of names for this beautiful puppy. I was coming up with all the usual names that a little kid would come up with like Fluffy, Princess, and Lady. Then I started to watch what she was doing. While we were outside, she was trying to eat all the kids candy. She was very sly about sneaking up and trying to grab it. I thought that was cute and at that moment decided to name her Candy! That was her name for 13 years! She was everyones best friend. She was my protector. She is truly missed even after all these years.

4 comments:

Sherri said...

Cool memory. Great job naming her it sounds like you got a peak at her soul. Pets add so much to our lives.

Debbi said...

What a great memory.

Leah's Crafty Life said...

Candy sounds like a wonderful dog. Hope you have a gr8 weekend!

Janet said...

What a great memory! Isn't it funny how we remember all the details of certain things like this? That's really cool. Do you have a photos of Candy? Your blog post would make great journaling for a layout about her. :-) Janet